Saturday 5 September 2009

Amsterdam ...... Part 2

When I was looking through all my Amsterdam photos I realised that I didn't have nearly as many of the Red Light District as I thought I had which is a pity as this was one of the nicest places architecture wise that we managed to see in such a short time . Bearing in mind that we were there on a lunch time there were still "ladies working " but not nearly as many as I would imagine there to be on a night.
We were told that the Amsterdam officials are trying hard to improve the image of the area and were giving empty spaces to young designers to sell their designs and you could really tell that they were making a difference.


















As for saying this is the city of bikes - oh they are so right . Apparantly the dutch have another meaning for the word ' recycling'..... for example .... you bike to work or wherever and then when you come back to pick up your bike if it isn't there you just take another one .... simple as that . We saw a bike park where there were literally thousands of bikes parked over 3 levels !

Some bikes are more distinguishable than others . This one had a wooden box on the front with seats for the kiddies to sit -- wouldn't mind one of those myself ..



This was just a tiny bike park!!









We saw a few street artists but this guy was by far the best , when we tried to take his photo the first time he cleverly hid his face with his trident and moved his fingers in a ' pay me first ' motion, so when Milo took a few euros across we were allowed to take his picture. You'll get a better look if you enlarge the pic, in fact if you enlarge most of the pics you'll be able to see things better.



I think I'll leave my last few photos for the final part of the trilogy...... hope you are all having a lovely weekend.

15 comments:

Carol said...

I have just been looking back on your posts, how wonderful just going off on a whim! the boys must have been sooo excited. I bet they loved the ship and sailing away.
The pictures are beautiful, this is a place that I have always wanted to visit. I have a Baltic cruise booked for next year but they have taken Amsterdam off and we are now going to visit Rotterdam, shame really. I am really looking forward to more pictures of this trip, I do hope that you show us more.
Carol x

...Nina Nixon... said...

Fantastic photos. It reminds me of when we lived in Cambridge with all the bikes 'everywhere' which seem to take priority over the pedestrians.

Have a lovely weekend,

Nina x

Locket Pocket said...

Wow to all the bikes! Not sure I like their idea of recycling though ;o) Lucy x

LissyLou said...

I love the buildings there. I only visited for a day but i'd love to go back so that i can really explore.

Simone said...

I love the Amsterdam posts Lisa. I feel as though I would really like to visit there one day. The photos tell a wonderful story. Bit heavy on the mayo there aren't they?!!! I love Milo's haircut! x

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

What an amazing trip Lisa!

Adrienne said...

wow. I really need to get out more ;-) I cannot believe how many bikes there were!!!! I think I wouldn't care for the 'recyling' too much - I'd say I'd be a little attached to my 'comfortable' seat ;-)

Erna said...

Oh that's nice to hear you're having a great time overhere! It's so funny to hear you about the many bikes....I really am not aware of that being MANY!??? haha I'm used to it I guess.... enjoy your time here!

julie said...

looks like you had a wonderful time (can't believe the chips you got with your Hellmans portion!) Thanks for sharing your great pictures - they brought back some good memories of a trip there when I was a student.

Poppy said...

Some great posts! I loved the bike with the trailer bit at the front… I could put all my gardening bits in there. I can’t get over how many bikes there were.

It’s no good blogging…now I’ve got too add that to my list of places to visit. I loved all of your pictures!


Love too you all…Lou xxx

LizzieJane said...

I come back from a bloggy break and you went to Amsterdam...lucky you! It looks like you had tons of fun. Love looking at those photos.
x

Renaissance said...

And I thought that Cambridge was overrun with bikes!

Sachiko said...

Your photoes are so beautiful! I love the buildings... Thank you for sharing.

Pomona said...

Amsterdam is such a beautiful place - I had forgotten how lovely it is! I wish you lived close enough to enjoy our produce, too!

Pomona x

Lucy said...

I recognise so many of the places you went to as I was there in April this year. Such a beautiful city and your photos are wonderful. Lucy x