Saturday 25 September 2010

25th September 2010

I don't really know how to start this post , how to tell you all about my first week at school but I'll give it a go .



Monday morning I was so nervous , my stomach was churning ninety to the dozen I can tell you . I really didn't have any reason to worry though. Mrs K the teacher introduced me to the class. Thirty pairs of 4/5 year old eyes all looking at you and saying hello Mrs Coates and you realise that you are going to help all these children learn things that will see them through life - wow.



One of the hardest things initially was just learning all their names , english , bengali and arabic - a few mouthfuls but I'm getting there. A couple have special needs so you have to keep an extra eye on them .



So many surprises too , children you think would know things don't and vice versa, all just going to show you should never judge people on looks alone.



So far I've helped with numbers 1 - 20 , seeing who can recognise them when they're wrote down and name recognition , as I mentioned earlier there are different nationalities so for a lot of them English isn't their first language which makes it all the harder.



There are so many things I want to say but don't have the words or can't due to confidentiality but to sum it up the kids are great the teachers are great - I love it .



Next week I have a meeting with my advisor and we'll start with written work so apologies in advance if I disappear for a little while or don't get around to commenting on your posts. I have found it a bit hard this week just fitting normal everyday life stuff in !!



Anyway , I hope you like the pics taken from a walk we went on today , if anyone knows the name of the plant in the top pic please let me know as it's the first time I've ever seen it . I've also posted another photo of Treebeard - did you spot his face ?



Hopefully next week I'll be able to show you some 'shroom photos and tell you about the best cupcake book I've ever read.

13 comments:

driftwood said...

so glad you've had a good week! looking forward to hearing about the cupcakes! xoxox

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Glad to hear your new career has gotten off to a brilliant start!

Adrienne said...

Oh wow! I bet those sweet little ones just love you! I love it when I go visit Henry at school and the kids come up and give me hugs - even some of the ones that were in his class last yr but not this yr. You are going to get lots of hugs ~ that's awesome.

I loved your pics - I did see the "old man" in the tree - very cool. Good luck! Look forward to when you are able to pop in here again.

Louise said...

Like the photos? They are great! The plant in your photo is Leycesteria formosa 'Himalayan Honeysuckle'. It's good that you know you are going to love your new job. That's half the battle. That tree is quite amazing!

...Nina Nixon... said...

Tummy churning - phew!! So glad your first week went really well.

Nina xxx

Ally Jay said...

Good to hear about your week, sounds like it was fun

Simone said...

I am glad to hear that you have got off to a good start. Onwards and upwards now! I noticed the tree with the face straight away!

Thimbleanna said...

Yay! That first week is always the hardest -- I'm so happy to hear that it went well!

Helen said...

I know the plant at the top as russian honeysuckle
Love Helen

Locket Pocket said...

Sounds like a busy fun week!

poppy said...

Well done you! And the pictures are gorgeous. All the lanterns were out of my mum’s garden, shame you don’t live nearer. :-(

Lou x

Julia said...

You are on the start of an amazing journey by the sounds of it! What a pleasure and a gift for you to guide these little people through their early school days! Good luck to you, Im sure you will shine :)

Love Julia x x x

Mia said...

Sounds wonderful!How exiting all that must be - I am so happy for you, Lisa! I used to work with children, too, and loved it. It's most rewarding work ever.

Many warm thoughts from Finland!

Yours,
Mia